Friday, May 6, 2011

Spring Break 2?? Same people, different location...

Just a couple weeks after returning from our trip to Seattle to visit my brother, Dave, he and his family decided to come south. Their intention was to go visit the extraordinary Carl Bloch art exhibit currently at BYU's Museum of Art. Unfortunately it was all sold out and they didn't want to gamble with standby tickets. So they just stayed in Idaho with my parents. I couldn't pass up another opportunity to see my cute niece and nephew and bro and sis in law. So we blew off school for three days and went up to Idaho for a visit. First off, was rock climbing at City of Rocks. For anyone who doesn't know about The City of Rocks, you are truly missing out. It is one of the greatest things about Idaho and my siblings and I practically grew up on those rocks. It's just a huge national park full of these massive rock formations where people come from all over the world to climb. We went rock climbing and cooked hot dogs over the campfire. We blew a tire on my van coming home and Dave was the best brother in the world as he changed my tire and got filthy and sliced his finger open in the process.

This picture refuses to post in order, but we went to Shoshone Falls to watch Idaho's version of Niagara Falls. It was beautiful, as always.









Probably the most popular rock to climb is called Bathtub Rock. At the very top there are these wind made holes that usually fill up with snow and rain water creating bath tubs on top. It is also the scariest and most difficult rock to climb. I remember having no fear as a child scaling that thing with the welded in metal hand holds someone made years ago. But I'll tell you, watching my two sons go up that with their Uncle Dave about gave me a heart attack. The pictures don't do it justice, but it is so incredibly dangerous and I can't believe there haven't been more accidents on that rock. Most people use ropes and rock climbing gear, but if you're the amateurs like us, you go up the back using the welded on hand holds. It's terrifying. But my boys loved it. Thanks to Uncle Dave who stuck it out when maybe he would have wished to turn back. They're up there looking like tiny little ants on the top of the rock.


We also went swimming at Slyger's natural hot springs pool. Also an old family favorite from my childhood. It's called something different now, but it will always be Slyger's to me. Didn't bring my camera, though.

Anyway, we need to stick out the rest of this school year and stop taking unplanned and spontaneous vacations like this one. They're only 3 weeks left of school. I think we can do it.

6 comments:

Tara said...

Fun trip! We typically don't do much when we head to Burley... have to plan better and do some of the fun activities. I'm a paranoid momma so I'm sure Gage won't be climbing bathtub rock for some time :)

Joy said...

What a fun, spontaneous trip! Now I'm intrigued about the City of Rocks. We'll have to go check it out! But holy cow. I don't blame you for freaking out about your boys climbing up that huge rock! As a teen I hiked up to Half Dome in Yosemite & then pulled myself up the half dome part, and I remember looking down & thinking, How many people fall & die while doing this? Very scary, yet exhilarating too!

katie said...

Spring Break I & II both rocked! Thanks so much for hanging out with us. We had so much fun and the kids LOVED playing with their cousins. We'll have to make it all the way to Utah sometime soon.

Crystal said...

How fun! You are taking me back to my childhood! I haven't been to those places in forever, you make me want to take my family!

Parkside View said...

Ha! I haven't even posted about my *first* spring break on my blog. That looks like it was definately a trip not to pass up!

Lindy said...

FYI Slygers is now Thousand Springs. Much more appealing name if you ask me. We go there a lot, too!