Monday, December 21, 2009

Temple Square



The night of Greg's birthday we went up to Salt Lake and had a family dinner with my brother. Then we decided to head to Temple Square and take a look at the lights. We took Andrew to see the lights when he was a baby, but hadn't yet with all the kids. We weren't planning on doing this, so no one was dressed particularly warm. It was chilly, but still very beautiful. There is always a very special feeling at Temple Square. I always wander around with a lump in my throat. We stopped at the Tabernacle and went in to warm up and show the kids the organ pipes. I was flooded with memories of going to General Conference there when I was much younger. My Dad usually got tickets since he was the Bishop and then Stake President back in those days and we often would go just the two of us to Conference while everyone else stayed at Grandma's house in SLC. It was a very special memory I have with my Dad. I remember once we went for the April conference and I was probably 9 or 10. We were almost the last ones admitted in with tickets before they started letting standby people in to fill the balcony. So we had seats way at the back. It had been snowing and I was freezing cold with snow in my hair. A nice lady usher looked at me and smiled and then took my Dad and me out of our back row seats all the way up to the front and found seats for us on the front row, just under the pulpit. I'm not sure why. She just decided to give us a special little treat and promote our seats to best in the house. I remember trying VERY hard to pay attention to conference and not let my mind wander for that session because I felt like I owed it to that nice lady. This red tree was the most impressive one, I think. So beautiful.
Paul took a video under the red tree.

2 comments:

Parkside View said...

Your pictures turned out so nice. The red tree is my favorite every year along with the gold on just southwest of it.

What a special memory to be on the front row at General Conference!

Amber said...

Im jealous. I love Temple Square at Christmas. We need to make the trek up there some winter.