Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Adventures with Childhood Glasses

Yesterday I took Nathan to the pediatrician to get his Kindergarten Physical so I could register him for school starting this fall. He performed rather poorly on his eye exam and the doctor told me I should have it checked out at an optometrist. So today, we did. My poor little guy has some pretty crummy vision, apparently. Not surprising with having Greg and me for parents. Our eyeball genes that we passed on to him were bound to make an appearance sooner or later. Too bad he's only 4. After lots of coaxing, pleading, threatening, we finally got Nathan to calm down and sit in the exam chair to get his eyes looked at. The tantrum started with the machine that blows a little puff of air into the eye. That set him over the edge. It probably didn't help that it was just yesterday that he had to get 5 shots at the Pediatrician's office. Too many health care professionals in a 24 hour period, I guess. It took quite a long time to get through the exam and get him in a glasses mind set. He just kept ripping them off his face every time we tried a pair on just to see how they looked. I bribed him with a new toy and he calmed down a little bit.
So after we got our lenses on we went straight to the toy store where he promptly picked out yet another Light Saber. Like we don't already have enough...but that's what he wanted, so I made good on my promise/bribe. What an adventure for an afternoon.


3 comments:

Parkside View said...

The puff of air is the worst! No wonder he was upset. I can't wait to tell him how fantastic his glasses look, though. Who knew they made such fashinable frames in the small variety!

Lindy said...

He looks very cute! I am quite certain one of my children will end up with glasses. So far we've just gotten away with surgery--but the doctor is keeping an eye on Natalia. She has astigmatism in one eye, so he wants to watch it closely. We get to visit the eye doctor again next month. Not a very kid-friendly office.

Amber said...

Wow, he looks so mature in those glasses....ok, well not so much with the light saber. LOL