Monday, March 8, 2010

A few of my favorite things...

We have finally started to feel a little bit better around here. Life can return to normal which includes a full night's sleep for everyone. I've been thinking a lot lately about joy and being happy. We had a really nice sacrament meeting yesterday. Our bishop talked about joy and choosing to be happy. I can usually find someone or something else to blame my unhappiness on, but really it comes down to making the choice to be happy. And finding joy in life. Because, after all, we are meant to be happy. I recently came across this statement on a wall of one of my favorite restaurants. This restaurant has tons of little quotes and sayings up all over the place. Most of them are uplifting and I can agree with and this one was my favorite: "Experience is what you get when you DON'T get what you wanted." And I thought that was a perfect way to define a person. You can either take your disappointments in stride and learn from them or let them eat away at you and just get worse. I'm choosing to take the word 'experience' in this quote as a positive thing. Experience gives us knowledge, insight, and wisdom for the next challenge that awaits us. So thank you, anonymous person, for your insight. So my goal and challenge for myself is to choose to look for joy and happiness. I can make a list of things in life that make me irritated. I can go on for hours. (the stringy things on a banana when you peel it, the toilet paper coming from the underside of the roll instead of the top, the appalling amount of filthy diapers my one year old can produce) but I'm CHOOSING to see the good in life. I got to see the most beautiful sunset the other night. I took a picture, but it is weak in comparison to the real thing. We got a little bit more snow and the boys were beyond thrilled to go make one last snowman. Greg's beater of a car is STILL running (a miracle, I promise). Making cranberry bread. A quiet afternoon with a book. These are things that make me happy and give me joy.

This is the best little snowman with a mini carrot for a nose.



This is the lovely view out my front window.

5 comments:

Joy said...

Wow, perfect view from your house! I agree that we need to CHOOSE to be happy-- everyone can see negative things if they want to! But\I struggle with it too at times, especially with things that you mentioned, like dirty diapers, or the constant mess that is the kitchen... We might look around and see happy people and think, well their life must be easy and perfect or something, but no one's is. Some of the happiest people in our own ward have some major trials going on right now! It really does come down to our own decisions, counting our blessings, and SEEKING to see the good. Thanks for the uplifting post!

Becky said...

I appreciate this post. Every once in a while (ok more than that) I need to be reminded to look for the good.
Beautiful view from your house too - thanks for sharing.

Tara said...

Thank you Karen. I need to look for joy! I'm a grump in life. Poor Niels!

Parkside View said...

It seems appropriate that the first person to comment on this post would be Joy!

That picture did turn out beautiful, and that snowman did turn out great. I would add eating the cranberry bread to the list of things that make you happy!

Amber said...

I LOVE this post! You crack me up...the stringy things on bananas. LOL. Cute picts of your boys and frosty!