Monday, August 23, 2010

Yes, that's a staple in my kid's head...

My afternoon was disrupted by a quick trip to the Instacare Saturday, when Nathan ran into the house bleeding like you wouldn't believe. He had fallen off his brother's back as they were trying to give each other piggy backs and hit his head on some stone steps we have in our back yard. I was amazed at how much a head wound can bleed. It was a steady stream of blood pouring from the relatively small gash. But we loaded up and rushed to the Instacare. The sweet doctor was very good with a hysterical little boy and got it cleaned and disinfected before she put the little staple gun to his head and got it in place. Both of my older boys have an absolute horror of blood which brings on massive panic attacks. Especially Nathan. So to see so much blood on his hands and clothes about sent him over the edge. We'll go back in a couple days to have a doctor remove the staple. I guess staples are easier than making them sit still longer for stitches. Looks sort of gruesome, though. I tried to hide it when we went off to church by combing his hair differently over it.

4 comments:

Tara said...

Yowch! Sounds like a painful injury and a painful fix. Wish him a speedy recovery for us.

Becky Tuft said...

No fun. At least he'll have a cool story to tell.

Parkside View said...

You hid it pretty well, because I had no idea he had to have a staple in his head. What an ordeal!

Lindy said...

Yikes! We've been lucky and avoided such fun so far. . . . Knock on wood. That would make my stomach turn a bit!