Thursday, August 25, 2011

Meet Elizabeth Elaine Wilding


Baby Stats: 6lbs 14 oz. 19 inches long. Dark brown hair
Greg and I woke up after a very short night and left the house around 4:45 early Sunday morning and got to the hospital by 5ish. I got checked in, gowned up, needle inserted and all prepped by 6am. Then we waited. I was supposed to have a 7:30 cut time, but was bumped back to about 9am after an emergency came in and pushed us back. I've always had a spinal done for all of my c-sections and was a little concerned when the anesthesiologist came in announcing they would be doing an epidural. I've heard too many stories of epidurals not working right, or only numbing half of your body. The difference between a spinal and an epidural is that the spinal is done just minutes before the surgery starts almost instantly paralyzing you. The epidural was done a couple hours before and took some time to get me completely numb. After that not fun experience we had a couple more hours to wait and my blood pressure would severely drop randomly bringing on terrible dizziness, crazy shaking, and nausea. I threw up a few times waiting in my bed to be wheeled to the OR. Anyway, the surgery began and Elizabeth was born at 9:24am.
Greg left with the nurses and Elizabeth leaving me to get all stitched back up listening to the doctors banter behind my screen. My anesthesiologist would peek around the screen and whisper to me what they were doing. Things like "they have your uterus out of your body lying on top of your stomach right now so they can sew it up...."
With my last C Section I had an allergic reaction to the morphine they gave me so this time they didn't give me any pain meds until the epidural wore completely off. Full on pain of the surgery isn't fun to experience and I was pretty miserable. I was finally given my pain pills and they didn't do anything to help. So they called my doc at home and he authorized a straight morphine injection into my hip. Which helped considerably. I didn't have any weird reaction this time and got the shot a few more times throughout the day. I didn't see Elizabeth much that first day because I was just too miserable. Monday was better, but I mostly slept as much as I could. By Tuesday morning I'd had enough of the hospital and was asking if I could go home. Surprisingly my doctor authorized my discharge and away we went. I was checked every 2 hours during the nights I was there and didn't get much sleep. I was much happier to come home and rest in my own bed.
So here we are at home with a 11 day old baby who is the sweetest blessing in the world. She is so precious and darling. The boys can't get enough of her and neither can her daddy. Greg is doting on her so much. Even more than with the 3 boys when they were little. I think she's got her Daddy wrapped around her finger and will likely keep him there for a good long time.












Welcome to the family, sweet baby! We love you!!




5 comments:

Tara said...

Dangit! Sounds like the IV was no biggie... but the rest of it, no fun! Glad they finally were able to give you meds - makes my body hurt to think of the pain you must have experienced.

She is a gem, beautiful little angel. She deserves all the doting and it will be great practice for your boys to treat their future girlfriends/wives. Spoil the sister = spoil the wife. :)

Take care, Karen. Hopefully your recovery is much better than the Csection.

The Morris Family said...

congradulation!

Crystal said...

Congratulations! She's adorable. I'm glad you made it through the trauma of the IV:) and all the other crazy stuff that went along with your c-section!

Amber said...

Can't lie I'm kinda jealous of your baby girl. So cuteand love all the hair

Tami said...

Congrats! I am so glad everything is going good. She is beautiful, I am so excited for you!!