Monday, July 6, 2009

A Camping We Will Go

This little hip monkey rode with mom or dad the whole time. I wouldn't let him get down and crawl in the dirth very much.

Patrice's battle wounds from camping

My in-laws, Patrice and Roland and Greg's younger brother, Jeff.


Our home away from home



Couldn't go without the pack-n-play for David




We went camping this 4th of July weekend for the first time as a family. Greg and I had never taken the kids on an overnight- sleep outdoors- trip. I used to camp quite a bit when I was a kid with my own family and I really loved it, so I figured I'd still love it as an adult. Greg's extended family has a reunion every 2 years up Spanish Fork canyon and we decided to go. My parents lent us a tent and a couple of cots. I decided to not use the cots, hoping that an eggshell foam and some blankets would be enough padding on the hard ground. It wasn't. I was kicking myself for not bringing the cot. I was so blasted uncomfortable, I think I slept for about an hour the entire night. But despite a rough night, it was fun. The boys loved throwing rocks in the stream right by our tent and getting as wonderfully dirty as they could. We roasted marshmallows and had s'mores and did all the traditional camping things. I would like to try it again some time, but next time with a flatter patch of ground for the tent and bring those darn cots! I was never so grateful to sleep in my own comfortable bed and take an extremely long and hot shower when we got home.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Yahoo, camping! If you get serious into camping you should get some self-inflating mats. Ours do pretty good and are a bit more 'cushy' than cots. Glad you guys survived!

Paul said...

Looks like we'll make a boyscout out of you yet. Thanks for hiking with me.